Friday, February 13, 2009

Thrash is making a comeback (or is resurrecting in this case)

Well the title says it all. I've always dwelled with the idea of thrash metal will ever comeback to the fine age that it was during the 80s and and early 90s before being shot down in flames by the grunge sensation. However, what is the cause for me to relook through the history of this testosterone-built genre?



This month, I was trying to find some new bands to listen and add to my endless library of metal (I don't know why the fuck I'm still using iTunes but I'm starting to learn how to torrent so the problem might be solved sooner than expected). My fellow metalhead in arms, Andrew Thompson, suggested me Warbringer and thought "I might as well checked it out". I head to Youtube first to check to see if it is worth listening. BOOM! I felt that mind was flung back during the time when the Big Four had dominated the 80s. Thrash was the anti-mainstream music and held it close to their fans and metal heads alike.

Now, Warbringer isn't the only band to make a resurrection of thrash. Municipal Waste and Evile are valuable to the comeback of the thrash age (and I'll be seeing MW with Thompson and his fellow metalheads along with LoG and God Forbid). Municipal Waste brings thrash to its fullest but also a crossover/punk mix to their songs and creating songs that are at least two minutes tops. However, that isn't a bad thing considering that they bring the riffs, balls to the walls. Even though Evile isn't my favorite of the bunch, they have been quoted by many critics of "carrying the "whole genre's 'revival' on their shoulders". After listening to Evile's Enter the Grave, I wholly agree. And I was also touched by Ol Drake's tribute to Chuck Schuldiner by playing Voice of the Soul and proved to me that they don't mess around.

These promised new leaders are bringing a very bright future to the heavy metal scene and using the right formula to revive the sound of thrash metal. The main reason why I listen to metal and because of this genre. Metallica and Slayer were my very first bands that I ever listened to and allowed me to follow other bands and created my amoring of metal. But seeing that these bands of the new age of metal, I consider these three to be the "Big Three" of our generation. If these youngsters stick to their plan of promoting the good ol' times of thrashing and riffage then they have an unlimited amount of history that they will be making.

4 comments:

Bradley said...

Bolt Thrower!

Also, I wrote a post on torrenting, if it helps

http://bradleygarwood.wordpress.com/2008/09/24/how-to-torrent/

Garrett Wilson said...

Thank you very much, G-Wood. You ready for a killer time in Columbus, April 21?

Andrew Thompson said...

Now Garrett, are you ever going to question my musical taste ever again?

Garrett Wilson said...

Yes, because I'm just as stubborn and ignorant as you. But we can agree on one thing, Warbringer IS METAL!!!